[Sca-cooks] Four queries

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Jun 29 05:56:10 PDT 2012

I can't tell you anything about the webpages, but "Cartoufle bouillie" is
almost certainly nothing to do with white potatoes.  The earliest possible
date, given what we currently know, for potatoes in Europe is 1539 with the
return of Gonzalo Jiminez de Quesada, Sebastian de Benalcazar, and Niklaus
Federmann to Spain.  The first known reference to potatoes in Europe is a
receipt dated 28 November 1567 for the delivery of potatoes from Las Palmas
to Antwerp (Pirat and Foury, Histoires de legumes, 2003).  I haven't vetted
the reference, but I think it may be accurate.

As a small interesting aside, de Casteau and Carolus Clusius were both
residents of Liege at the same time.  There is no connection of which I
know, but Clusius was in charge of the botanical garden while de Casteau was
a burgher.  Clusius received his samples of Solanum tuberosum in 1587.

Bear