[Sca-cooks] My dinner de-brief

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Jun 3 00:44:47 PDT 2012

On 6/2/2012 10:04 PM, David Friedman wrote:

> Where are you imagining the feast happening? Lemons might have been
> available in Italy, but I'm not sure how much farther north. Wikipedia
> claims that lemons entered Europe no later than the 1st century AD,
> but were not widely cultivated, and that  " The first substantial
> cultivation of lemons in Europe began in Genoa in the middle of the
> 15th century."

Lemons travel pretty well, and in my time period the Franks had control
of Lombardy, which extended quite a ways into Italy. I'm also looking to
citrus on the Iberian peninsula, but that is sketchier- the Saracens
weren't exactly fans of Charles and I don't know how much trade there
was with them, if any.

> Athol Braose contains whiskey, which I don't think the Carolingians had.

That is true, but as I noted, it was brought by a friend, and I
graciously accepted the gift. To have refused it would have been
exceptionally rude. It didn't stick out, and I don't think it ruined
anyone's experience.

Liutgard

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
abilities." -Albus Dumbledore ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: