[Sca-cooks] Search for an Iberian Recipe

rdownie at mts.net rdownie at mts.net
Mon Jun 11 17:56:07 PDT 2012

Unfortunately I can't seem to find my notes, but I do recall anecdotal references to Portuguese missionairies bringing pão de ló, a sweet cake to Japan.  I've heard the "Castela" cake name derives from the beating of the egg whites into stiff peaks ("bater as claras em castello" is the proper Portuguese baking term for this) I'm not sure how accurate these claims are.  The pão de ló in the Livro de Cozinha of  Infanta D Maria's (circa late 15th to early 16th C) version of the recipe is more of a candy, made with almonds and sugar.  The pão de ló recipe in the Arte de Cozinha of Domingos Rodrigues (circa 1680) is also more of an almond based candy.   I did find a recipe more closely resembling the modern sponge cake version in an old Portuguese convent cookbook, but there are no dates given:To one arrátel (pound) of well refined sugar, add 10 yolks, and 10 whites well beaten, and then add to them 23 more yolks, and continue beating all, with a beater (whisk?) until it thickens well, such that the batter whitens.  When it is so, add one arrátel (pound) of flour; but this is not beaten, simply bring it (the batter) together with your hand; place it immediately into your basins which will go to the oven; line them with paper, the ones which have dough/batter, and cover them with others of the same size, keeping these with the bottom upwards (fancy way of saying upside down....)and they go into the oven;  watch them, for when the pao de lo is fluffy, and colored, they should be removed (from the oven).  At the beating of the eggs you may add a little spoon of refined salt, or what you think. There’s also an article about the subject (in Japanese) by a leading kasutera maker in Nagasaki, Fukusaya: http://www.castella.co.jp/magazine/index.shtml  Faerisa