[Sca-cooks] Turducken Hints

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 07:22:54 PDT 2012

On 6/24/2012 11:24 PM, Crandall wrote:
> Merle Ellis in Cutting-up in the Kitchen (1975) wrote of making a chicken
> within a chicken, by boning out two chickens, then putting one inside the
> other for a carving effect. (pg.136)

Eh. I used to make ballotine of whole chicken a fair amount with a
panade based stuffing. Making it by using multiple birds [or other
meats, I have a recipe for a sausage based stuffing that is mostly pork
and goose liver] is not that big a deal. I could even make the turducken
I suppose. It really isn't rocket science - I would cook the chicken and
dutch spatchcock, make up the different stuffings. Wrap the cooked
deboned spatchcock chicken around a bit of its stuffing, lay out the
duck, spread with its layer of stuffing, lay in the now stuffed deboned
chicken, wrap the cooked spatchcocked duck, lay flat the raw turkey,
smear with stuffing, plunk in the now round ducken, wrap and stitch up,
cook. I would probably make it while the chicken and duck are still
piping hot, and use precooked hot stuffing as well. Might as well get
the inside temp piping hot to help cook the beastie from the inside.
Frying at least submerges the critter into an already hot medium, direct
transfer of heat works better in this case than indirect [roasting or
grilling.]