[Sca-cooks] Rectifying Bitter Medieval Recipes

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 13:04:42 PDT 2012

Thank you all for your suggestions on rectifying Nola's pomegranate
sauce. I like the "health report" Johnna gave on the fruit - jajaja!
I bought the pomegranates in the supermarket yesterday. So as per Sharon
Palmer's reminding me that there are sweet and bitter pomegranates, I
went to my fruit man this morning. He told me that the naked eye cannot
tell the difference. You have to taste them. He did say that the ones
that are less red tend to be sweet. He said he would bring me 10 tomorrow.
At the risk of decorating the kitchen again, I shall try again - the
family says that when I finished extracting the arils (seed sacs)
yesterday it looked like the Inquisition had hit the kitchen!
Today, I added 1 c sugar to yesterday's disaster and gently boiled it
for about an hour, reducing the liquid in half. It looks much better and
tastes yummy! - Probably too sweet for the medieval taste buds -
I don't know if I can go with the bitter version of wine and vinegar but
I tasted Nola's third recipe for mustard which I made last week. A
clothespin was necessary for the nose when preparing it. Now it is
great! I think it is a lot like Dijon although the English say Dijon did
not exist in the Middle Ages.
Suey