[Sca-cooks] Any more info on these Radanites?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 3 13:49:03 PDT 2012

Bear said:
<<< There was quite a bit more trade between Carolingian Gaul and
Islamic Iberia
than one would think.  Andalusia was the western terminus of the east-
west
Islamic trade and in later years, a major manufacturer of textile
exports.
Much of this trade, especially in the early years was conducted by the
Radanites, Jewish traders, who operated from Europe to China and from
the
Baltic to Arabia and India.  Being outside of the Moslem-Christian
conflict,
they could trade with everyone.  They disappear around the 11th
Century with
growing competition from the Italian trade cities in the West and with
almost a century of political and social disruption across Asia
beginning
with the fall of the Tang Dynasty in the early 10th Century.>>>

This is the first I've heard of these "Radanites". For someone who
would like a Jewish persona and/or someone in contact with multiple,
different cultures, this sounds like a good persona candidate.

Do you have any more information or references about them, that I
might pass on in the Florilegium?

Thanks,
   Stefan

--------