[Sca-cooks] Minor rant - allergies and following directions

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 8 20:13:41 PDT 2012

> So, with it being four days before the event, and people still not
> filling out the form as requested...when do I just say "It's not my
> problem", even though they gave the information someplace
> else?

Handling allergies at feasts has come up multiple times in the history
of this list.

While some people may still disagree or wish to handle things
differently, the consensus seems to be that the best solution is to
provide a detailed, accurate ingredients list and let folks make their
own decision.

There have been many stories of cooks going, to me, extreme measures
to provide something special for someone who mentioned a problem ahead
of time, and then the person not showing up at the event or even
alerting the headcook that they wouldn't be making it after all. Or
people who showed up on the day of the event and expected to be served
something special because of their problems, either a real medical
allergy or simply because they didn't like something.

The cooks side of this arrangement is to publish or make available an
accurate ingredient list before the event. And to STICK TO that
ingredient list. No adding new ingredients simply because they were on
sale the week before the event! Also, taking reasonable care to avoid
cross-contamination between dishes.

Royalty apparently get special compensation from having to follow
these rules and whole feasts get changed to meet their whims.

In the FEASTS section of the Florilegium:
ingred-lists-msg  (18K)  4/ 6/07  Posting ingredient lists at SCA
feasts.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com