[Sca-cooks] Minor rant - allergies and following directions

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 8 20:38:04 PDT 2012

Selene said:
<<< I recently ran a feast for about 60 where two celiacs showed up
without
notice.  This could have been a problem, but I had been under the
influence of my incipient mother-in-law, also celiac, and had carefully
NOT thickened anything with bread crumbs or the like.>>>

Were you intentionally not cooking with breadcrumbs? Or did your
particular menu not use them?

Bread crumbs were a very common method of thickening things in period
cooking. I would hate to see us changing the medieval dishes we serve
just because one or two people might have problems with one ingredient.

Even more so if something is avoided because there might be a
hypothetical person who might show up and have a problem with an
ingredient.

And even more so, changing a medieval dish into a modern one because
of such concerns.

Your second paragraph tells me you might not have meant this as I read
it, and that your menu just happened not to need bread crumbs.
<<< It being from early Persian sources, if anyone had showed up with a
killer allergy to ALMONDS, there would have been a real problem.
Happily, that did not happen, this time. >>>

However, at risk of making myself the target of all the celiacs out
there, or others with special diet requests, I don't think we should
be making things less period for everyone to met the needs of a few.
especially when the situation being concerned about may be hypothetical.

I've seen this come up before in other discussions where people wanted
to rule out camping sites because they were difficult to navigate in
wheelchairs.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com