[Sca-cooks] Trdelnik query

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun May 27 13:52:52 PDT 2012

Trdelnik is Baumkuchen of which Rumpolt's recipe is possibly the earliest on
record.  In Hungary, the same class of pastry is Ku:rto~skala'ks (place the
diacritical marks over the preceding vowel) which is thought to have
originated in Transylvania, where there is a large population of Hungarians.
Rumpolt, being of Hungarian origin, suggests that this might be a treat from
home which he brought with him.  It is a Central European dessert that has
spread into a number of European cultures and was even introduced in to
Japan (from Germany) around WWI.  I've spotted a couple of references that
it is still spreading through Asia.

This one is fascinating, although I have no idea how to document the
cultural transfer.

Bear