[Sca-cooks] Hildegrad's mention of hops in beer?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed May 9 00:33:30 PDT 2012

There are two mentions:

XXI. Hops

...  Nevertheless, its bitterness inhibits some spoilage in beverages to
which it is added, making them last longer.

(different chapter)

XXVII. Ash Tree

If you want to prepare beer from oats, without hops, cook it only with
...  .

The first doesn't specify beer, but I think the second pretty clearly
implies that beer is sometimes made with hops.

On 5/7/12 9:49 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Cariadoc said:
> <<< There is a reference in Hildegard to the use of hops in beer,
> apparently
> the first such reference--is it possible that that's what your source is
> referring to? >>>
>
> Really? Or is this another of those rather loose translations?
>
> If it is legit, could someone please post the comment or passage? Of
> course I imagine that it's still a translation, and I won't be able
> translate it, but perhaps some else can.
>
> Thanks,
>   Stefan
>
> --------
>    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas