[Sca-cooks] Minor rant - allergies and following directions

Laureen Hart lhart at graycomputer.com
Thu May 10 12:08:21 PDT 2012

If one is a true Celiac I totally buy into the extreme tolerance guidelines.
If your doctor just says "avoid gluten as you may not process it well" I
don't see it.
Someone posted it very well a while back - Gluten intolerance is the current
"in" syndrome, just as Lactose Intolerance was 10 or 15 years ago. This is
not to trivialize 2 very real medical issues. It is just that there are a
lot of self diagnosed, or casually diagnosed people out there.

One of my teen age nieces was having skin problems and the doctor told her
to immediately cut all Dairy, Gluten, Sugar (other than honey), and Eggs out
of her diet. No skin or blood tests were performed. She was to begin the
regimen all at once rather than cutting one item at a time. It didn't seem
like a well thought out treatment plan to me.

Randell