[Sca-cooks] Minor rant - allergies and following directions

Antonia di B C dama.antonia at gmail.com
Thu May 10 15:47:56 PDT 2012

On 11/05/2012 10:36 AM, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> A few years ago it was lactose, a few years before that was the yeast
> thing (anything with yeast was supposed to be bad, never mind that
> yeast is in the air and is present in all of your food, to some
> extent). I remember the 'hypoglycemia' fad. I have to wonder what
> comes next.

Oh, gods, yes.  And it's always the same people-- only the fads change.

What frustrates me about the whole thing isn't really what people do or
don't eat.  It's the fact that I only have so much time and energy to
spend on the "specials" catering, and people carrying out their annoying
fads necessarily detract from my ability to help people with much more
genuine and pressing issues.

> If you have real celiac disease, I am very sorry. But don't let
> someone demean your genuine disease by playing it part time. It
> doesn't help any of us.

A comment I've heard from more than one coeliac sufferer about the
gluten-free diet is "I have no idea why anyone would subject themselves
to it when they don't really have to".

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo