[Sca-cooks] Minor rant - allergies and following directions

Elzbieta Traidenyte elzbieta_traidenyte at live.com
Tue May 8 11:30:48 PDT 2012

I have been successful with a 2 part attack.

1.) Prepping anything involving gluten in advance, and only prepping gluten involving recipes that day (for example - flatbread was made, frozen and then only had to be warmed at the event) and avoiding unnecessary gluten in other recipes (as you said, avoiding breadcrumbs, choosing gluten free ingredients when available and a reasonable substitution)
2.) Creating a "Gluten Free Zone" in the kitchen - an area of counter that is architecturally separate from the remainder of the kitchen space where all of the recipes that are being modified to be gluten free (ie. gluten free flatbread or cookies) are prepared, and nothing else is allowed in the zone.  Serving utensils were placed on designated paper plates to avoid cross contamination.

I know that we've used these techniques for at least 2 local events and have been successful in feeding our GF friends without making them sick.

Elzbieta