[Sca-cooks] Published ingredient lists (was "minor rant")

Tre trekatz at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 21:16:21 PDT 2012

So how far do people go with their ingredient lists? If you buy bread/prepared mustard/etc. Do you publish all the ingredients for those items as well, or do you check the ingredient lists on any items you buy to go into your dishes?

For example, do you publish the ingredients that are in your breadcrumbs on the ingredient list, or do you simply say "breadcrumbs"?

The reason I'm asking is that for this event I have multiple breads, some of which I'm buying, and this time I checked the ingredients for the breads and some of them contain sesame and barley - two of the allergies I'm working around. If I hadn't checked, and then used those breads in other dishes as thickening agents, that would mean that the dishes the crumbs were used in would have the barley and/or sesame as well, but listing "bread crumbs" wouldn't tell someone that.

I also have a salad that calls for stoneground mustard in the dressing. I have someone who is allergic to alcohol, to the point that she can't have wine vinegar, either. I happened to check the ingredient list on a jar of stoneground mustard and wine vinegar was listed. While I generally substitute cider vinegar in many recipes for the benefit of this individual (sometimes on the whole dish, sometimes simply on a separated portion), I would have given her this mustard without a second thought if I hadn't known her allergy ahead of time. On an ingredient list, I would only have listed "stoneground mustard", which wouldn't have told her that she couldn't eat it, either.

 From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
To: SCA-Cooks maillist SCA-Cooks <SCA-Cooks at Ansteorra.org>

While some people may still disagree or wish to handle things differently, the consensus seems to be that the best solution is to provide a detailed, accurate ingredients list and let folks make their own decision.

(snip)

The cooks side of this arrangement is to publish or make available an accurate ingredient list before the event. And to STICK TO that ingredient list. No adding new ingredients simply because they were on sale the week before the event! Also, taking reasonable care to avoid cross-contamination between dishes.