[Sca-cooks] Diabetic needs - was: Minor rant

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Thu May 10 12:18:34 PDT 2012

I espouse what may not be the most popular opinion regarding making allowances for dietary needs, but I think I need to speak up.

I am a diabetic.  The world does not change its ways for me, nor do I ask it to.  It is up to me to find out if I can partake of a feast.  I do not feel it fair to ask a cook who is preparing food for 150+ people on a limited budget and likely already dealing with the various allergy- and sensitivity-related requests from the Head Table and/or populace regarding onions, garlic, ginger, aged cheese, mushrooms, nuts, certain grains, shellfish, and so on, to make a special portion for me and my needs.  If the cook is willing to do so, God bless them, but I do not ask it.

Yes, certain foods can be destructive to some people.  Carbs are my enemy, and not just in a from-the-lips-to-the-hips way.

Sometimes I can eat only a few dishes at a feast, in which case I bring my own food to fill the gaps.  Sometimes I have to miss out on the feast altogether.  It happens.  I deal.

Talana
Who in her real-life job assists university students with special dietary needs on a daily basis