[Sca-cooks] FW: Cooking qustion

Karen Lyons-McGann karenthechef at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 16:29:27 PST 2012

I think most of us just do without the sandalwood when it shows up in
recipes.  The color usually seems to be what they were concerned with,
while we are usually concerned with the taste so the trouble and expense of
sourcing sandalwood doesn't seem worth it for feast purposes.

But, so long as she already has some, she should go ahead and experiment.
 But wait?!   Is this one of those spices that is also used by dyers and
perfumers and might not be food grade?  If so, the question is moot.  If it
is food grade, well, she might as well make a batch, photographing along
the way, and write the procedure up for an A&S project.  Or, at least
report back to you/us whether or not the level of redness seems worth the
trouble, or is it just a reddish brown that you could acquire with longer
cooking, or cinnamon? Is it red enough to be of use in making decorative
food displays like a heraldic tart?   Is the taste that actually OK, or
merely not too unnappealing?    Would it be worthwhile to serve the recipe,
or a waste of apples and effort?

Bonne