[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving trends

Jim and Andi Houston jimandandi at cox.net
Tue Nov 20 20:46:15 PST 2012

I cooked 6 turkeys for my pre-contact Mayan feast a few weeks ago by cutting
them in half and braising them in fat chicken broth that chiles had been
rehydrated in. The turkeys were crazy good- moist and flavorful- so I might
do it that way again, or I might stick with my traditional brine & roast,
liberally stuffing & basting with butter, herbs, and apples. A woman in my
Barony raised a small flock of heritage breed free-range turkeys this year
and I was lucky enough to get one, so I'm going to give my turkey the royal
treatment, either way.

I'm also making giblet gravy, a small home-cured ham, creamed chard gratin,
whipped sweet potatoes with sorghum molasses and butter, home-grown butter
beans with smoked ham hocks, and a fancy cheesecake. My second job is at the
farmer's market so I'm hyper-aware of seasonal produce and I'm using that
knowledge to the fullest for the holiday. My parents are bringing mashed
potatoes, a couple other veggie sides, and several pies.

We will feast like kings!

Madhavi