[Sca-cooks] Salt Crust

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Nov 26 17:38:59 PST 2012

I've taken a quick look in a couple volumes of Apicius and I don't find any
reference to salt encrusted fish.  There is a meat recipe that has been
interpreted to be salt encrusted, but I have my doubts.

Such a dish requires the availability of salt and fresh fish (anyone think
salt encrusted salt cod is a good idea), so if it appears, I would expect to
find it in the Mediterranean corpus.  I haven't found a reference yet.  It
appears to be a "traditional" dish in Tunisia and some other parts of North
Africa and to have been adopted in other places, but that does not
necessarily make it of medieval origin.  Neither have I found trout baked in
terra cota.  What does appear is fish baked in pastry, which within SCA
period would have been more available and less expensive than salt.  And you
can cook salt cod in pastry.

This is an interesting question and I'll keep looking, but I think salt
encrusted fish is probably more modern than medieval and that someone made
an oft-repeated but very tenuous historical link with no real evidence.

Bear