[Sca-cooks] Feast at Mategrifon

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Oct 3 18:39:56 PDT 2012

One place to see the Latin account of the feast is in Chronicles and memorials of the reign of Richard i., ed. by W. Stubbs. [In Lat.] (1864)
 Page 172 [Capitulum XXIV.] De magna festivitate regis Ricardi die Natalis Domini,ad quam vocaverat regem Franciae, et totum populum ad convivium apud Mategriffun, et de donariis ejus largissimis.  It's available through the Web Archive and also through Google Books.

Another source is Chronicles of the crusades: contemporary narratives of the crusade of …  By Geoffrey (of Vinsauf), Richard (of Devizes), Ricardus (Canonicus Sanctae Trinitatis Londoniensis.), Jean Joinville (sire de). 1888.  Which is also on Google Books. One account of the feast is here:

> http://books.google.com/books?id=mDlbAAAAQAAJ&lpg=PA175&ots=6arR1E3yRz&dq=Christmas%201190%20Richard&pg=PA175#v=onepage&q&f=false

Johnnae

On Oct 3, 2012, at 10:58 AM, Christiane wrote:

> Ah, but I don't read Latin, at least, not much; I can glean a few nouns and verbs, but not enough to figure out what is going on, exactly. I'm aware of the book by Anna Martelloti, and it's my dearest wish to obtain a copy, but I haven't been able to find one yet.

Christiane wrote
October 2, 2012 4:01 PM
Any suggestions, tips, books, manuscripts, etc. would be helpful.

YIS,
Adelisa Salernitana