[Sca-cooks] Looking for Recipes for Seville Orange Peel

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Oct 9 11:58:39 PDT 2012

>I've just scored a heap of Seville Orange
>Peel... I'll keep and freeze the juice for
>recipes later but I want to use the peel...
>I do remember the ex-wife years ago making
>suckets from the peel, but for the life of me, I
>cant find a recipe...

Rumpolt has a number of recipes using Seville
oranges (Pomerantzen) the peel, the juice, as
well as the whole fruit.  No mention of sweet
oranges.

	Meat is often studded or covered (gespickt) with orange peel
then stud it with a Seville orange/ and cut the
orange wide/ and nicely thin/ and stud it with it
(stick pieces of the orange peel into the meat)/
and when it is nearly time to dress it/

	Meat or fish is cooked with orange juice

	Orange juice squeezed over meat just before it is served.
When one wants to dress it on a table/ then one
presses sour Seville orange juice into it/ then
it will be good and lovely.

Carbonados from the capon.  Take the capon/ pull
the skin off/ dismember thighs and wings from it/
beat with a knife back/ salt and pepper it/ lay
it on a grill/ and roast it quickly away/ baste
it with hot bacon (with bacon fat??)/ and when
you will dress it/ then pour a nice brown broth
over it/ or peel a seville
/ that is sour/ nicely wide and thin/ lay it
nicely on the carbonados/ and press the juice
from the seville orange on it/ and let it be soon
carried onto a table/ while it is warm/ like this
it is good and elegant.

	"Pobrat" sauce is made with orange juice.

And if you will take with it Seville oranges/
salted or unsalted lemons/ then slice it nicely
wide under it/ or make a pepper (sauce) under it
from a chicken blood/ Then take to it a little
black raisins/ cinnamon/ cloves/ ground pepper/
and a little sugar/ let it come to a boil
together/ then give it under the roast.)

When one will give it warm/ then one makes a
Pobrat sauce under it/ be it sweet or sour/ or
else in a brown broth/ that is nicely sour.  Or
make a sweet Pobrat sauce/ take a good handful of
sugar/ that is ground/ add it in a small tinned
kettle/ or in a small pan/ that the potter makes/
add to it sugar/ ground cinnamon/ take also a
little saffron and cloves under it/ pour a little
wine over it/ that the sugar just melts and
glazes/ cut from a citron nicely wide under it/
or from salted/ or sour lemon/ that is fresh/ or
from a Seville orange/ Put it in the kettle/ and
let just a boil open (come just to a boil)/ so it
becomes nicely white from sugar/ when it is
cooked.  If you will instead save the sugar/ then
take a little browned flour to it/ so the probrat
also becomes thick and good/ also pour a little
vinegar in it/ so it becomes lovely and well
tasting. And such a pobrat sauce one can give
under all sorts of birds/ that are roasted/ also
well with wild game.

Cold roasted rock pheasant with a pobrat sauce/
which has no fat/ as is described before/ to make
the pobrat from pure sugar/ let come to a boil
with wine and vinegar/ orange or lemon sliced
nicely wide/ let come to a boil with it/ after
that pour into the dish and let become cold/ lay
the roasted rock pheasant in it/ when it is
sprinkled with cloves and cinnamon/ and not with
bacon/ because it is not lovely with bacon/
especially if one wishes to eat it cold in this
manner.

A pheasant roasted warm with a sweet Pobrat
sauce.  Take wine/ likewise also a little
vinegar/ saffron/ cinnamon and seville orange
sliced in it/ sour lemon or citron made well
sweet/ and let come to a boil with it/ that it
becomes thick from sugar/ like this it becomes
good and also well tasting.

	Seville oranges sliced and sprinkled with
sugar are one of the usual condiments
(Zugehörung) served with a roast.

  Sour Seville orange juice. When one presses out
the seville orange/ one mixes the juice with
cinnamon and sugar/ given cold to the roast/ is
good and well tasting.

Seville oranges cut nicely wide/ and sprinkled with sugar/ are also good.

	Oranges were served as a salad
	Salad from oranges and juice.
	Dry orange peels were served as a salad

Seville Orange salad/ peel and cut them nicely wide/ sprinkle with white sugar.

	Orange tart

Seville orange tart/ peel and slice them nicely
wide/ and bake it quickly in an oven/ give it
warm or cold on a table/ as it is good and well
tasting in both manners.

	Both orange peels and whole oranges were preserved (Eyngemachte)

It also says to buy sugar coated (vberzogen)
orange peels from the Apothecary (Apotecken)

Take a Seville orange peel/ soak it whole/ or cut
it small/ let soak fourteen days in water and
salt/ until the bitterness comes away/ wash with
cold water/ and set to the fire in another water/
and let boil well/ take it out/ and cool off/
preserve with clarified sugar/ as one preserves
the citron/ like this it becomes good and well
tasting.

	Then here is the recipe for citron

Take a citron (Zitron)/ and is it inside juicy/
then cut the juice out/ and press it/ boil it
with quince juice/ and make sweet/ pour in a
mold/ or in a box/ like this it becomes good and
lovely.

Take the next citron/ and slice it fine
lengthwise/ cut the white from the peel/ prick
the peels with a bodkin or needle/ soak in a cold
water/ pour a handful of salt or three into it/
after the citron/  and let soak in it three or
four nights/ wash again three or four waters/ and
let soak again a night or two/ that the salt
comes away

set to (the fire) in a tinned fish kettle with
water/ and let simmer/ until one can pull the
yellow peel away with the fingers/ put them on a
clean board with the white/ that you have cut
away:

Since the gold from citron must boil longer/ than
the white/ and when has cooled down a little/
then put it in clear sugar/ that is clarified and
nicely cooked thick/ let lay there in a day or
four/ so the sugar becomes thin again/ then
clarify it again as a new with white from an egg/
let cook until thick again/

pour it through a wool cloth/ pour it again over
the citron/ and put three or four times
therefore/ like this it becomes even better/ and
keeps long.  Thus one preserves the citron.  You
might also cut the peel from citron nicely thin
and long/ like this it is also elegant and good.

	Or made into preserves

Seville orange juice let boil with peach juice/ becomes good and well tasting.

Ranvaig