[Sca-cooks] Search Techniques

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Oct 4 10:59:15 PDT 2012

>Where do you look for information and ideas on medieval foods and
>feasts in 2012 as opposed to say back in 2002 or 1992?

When I started in the SCA, around 1988, I went to the public library
and printed out a huge stack of stuff from fiche, and checked out the
few books available.  I wasn't doing much medieval cooking, largely
because I had kids to watch when I was at events.  When they were old
enough, I'd help out in the kitchen.  I planned a few "fantasy
feasts", but never was in the loop enough to make them.

Over the years, this list has really expanded my horizon.  I'm
interested enough in the German stuff, that I haven't looked too far
beyond that for the last few years, but I have a list of transcribed
or translated cookbooks, (mostly gathered here) that I want to look
into when I can.

For the Rumpolt translation, I've been using a combination of online
dictionaries: Grimm, Adelung, and the Early Modern German dictionary,
and sometimes Google book search finds obscure words.

General search engines aren't likely to find the best resources, IMO.

I agree with Doc, that online facsimile and translations are much
more convenient than paper.  I love books, but these days there is a
lot on the web, that isn't available in paper.

Ranvaig