[Sca-cooks] John Saturnall's Feast by Lawrence Norfolk

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Oct 8 11:09:10 PDT 2012

No one has mentioned this novel but it might be of interest since it concerns a 17th century English kitchen and its cook.
John Saturnall's Feast by Lawrence Norfolk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/21/john-saturnalls-feasts-lawrence-norfolk-review

The review from Friday 21 September 2012 reads in part:

"Kings built their castles. Bishops raised cathedrals. Yet there were cooks before either. What was their monument?" For his first book in 12 years, Lawrence Norfolk, historical novelist extraordinaire, inhabits the 17th century through its food. From the reign of Charles I through civil war, Cromwell's protectorate and on to the restoration, we are treated to both lavish feasting and battlefield foraging, the politics of the high table and the hearthside use of medicinal herbs. ...
the kitchen, perpetually busy to feed the hordes of hungry mouths dependent on it, from beggars to lords. "Kitchen's older'n the house … The fire's even older," John is told on his arrival."

Might be worth a look

Johnnae