[Sca-cooks] Bakers borax again

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Oct 14 18:45:16 PDT 2012

"Buraq" is a very general term and Brill shows more than two usages.  It
appears that the collective reference is to any whitish crystalline
substance which can be used as flux in soldering.  Armenian borax (modernly)
appears to be borax pentahydrate while US borax is borax decahydrate neither
is of use as a chemical leaven.  The first usage of the term Armenian borax
is in a Coptic manuscript roughly contemporary to al-Warraq (IIRC).  I have
seen no evidence that bakers' borax and Armenian borax are synonymous.

Redhouse's "A Turkish and English Lexicon" most helpfully defines "bakers'
borax" as "soda used by bakers".  Oh, thank you for that insight.  I really
would like to find an accurate usable definition.

I doubt if baker's borax is pure sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), which was
first produced in 1791, but some form of sodium carbonate with a small
percentage of bicarb (like natron) is certainly possible.  The leavening
effect would not be as pronounced as with pure sodium bicarb.  Sodium
carbonate alone would produce the glazing effect on the bread and might
provide a very minimal leavening.

Bear