[Sca-cooks] Search Techniques

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Thu Oct 4 13:21:41 PDT 2012

I find that the primary reference database that Iuse the most is Google
Scholar (scholar.google.com), which lists books, theses, scholarly
articles, and various other sources. It works pretty well for culinary
history. I also make extensive use of bibliographies of existing books.
The thing is, these resources are more helpful in locating scholarship
about food and cooking than in locating primary sources that I might not
have been aware of. Interestingly, the bibliographies of Wikipedia
articles tend to be good for finding the primary stuff, especially if
you have a name. Wiki articles about medieval cooks and physicians will
often include a list of their works, and I often find out about useful
primary materials in that way.

One trick that I've used productively is to google the primary source,
which often results in a list of articles and books about that source,
many of which may contain redacted recipes.

Recently I've taken to visiting the Prospect Books web site every so
often and scanning the tables of contents of their most recent books, or
recent issues of Petits Propos Culinaires. Lots of interesting and
useful stuff to look at there.

I tend not to ask fr help until after I've exhausted my own resources,
at which point I may post to this list, or possibly contact a known
scholar in the hope that he or she will respond positively to my request
for information.

-- Galefridus