[Sca-cooks] Looking for Recipes for Seville Orange Peel

Daniel And elizabeth phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Mon Oct 8 19:27:36 PDT 2012

>From Martha Washington's Book of Cookery

To make orringe lozenges

Take preserved orringe & leamon pill minced small, of
each one cunce; sugar candyed, ye quantety of A
 nutmegg; ye powder of ye lesser cardemondes &
carraway seed, of each ye weight of 2 pence; musk &
civit, of each ye weight of 2 granes; fine sugar
dissolved in rosewater, 5 ounces.  mingle these well
togeather over ye fire, spread them on a silver plate
& cut them into lozenges, & soe let them coole.

Side note according to Hess the twopence weighted about 3 grams or 1/9 of an ounce.  The weight of a grain is 1/7000 of a pound avoirdupois.  It is the weight of grain of wheat.

To candy orring pills

Take Civill orringes & pare them vry thin. then cut
them in little pieces, & lay them in faire water a day &
a night, & shift them evening and morning. then boyle
them, & shift them when the water is bitter into
another water, & continew this till the water & boyling
hath made tem soft & yt theyr bitterness be gon. then
dreyne ye water fromthem, & make a thin sirrup, in
which boyle them a pritty while.  then take them out &
make antoher sirrup a little stronger, & boyle them a
while in ye .  then dreyne ye sirrup from them, & boyle
another sirrup to candy height , in wch put them.  then
take them out & lay them on plats on(e) by one. when
they are dry, turne them & then they are done,

Hope this helps.  The book has a number of recipes for preserving oranges and lemons whole.

Daniel