[Sca-cooks] Looking for Recipes for Seville Orange Peel

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Thu Oct 25 11:59:01 PDT 2012

> I've just scored a heap of Seville Orange Peel... I'll keep and freeze
> the juice for recipes later but I want to use the peel...
> I do remember the ex-wife years ago making suckets from the peel, but
> for the life of me, I cant find a recipe...
>
> Anyone able to help?
>
> Drakey - 340 days accident free...

Again I am working through my backlog,...

for candying peel I used a version that cooks the peel once in plain water,
which will be discarded and afterwards  each day again with more sugar for
about a week. I have the recipe not on this computer and can't remember
which book I took it from, but I can check. I think Rumpold was also one of
the books I looked through.

And here is my favorite marmalade recipe OOP:

I love all kinds of citrus fruit marmalade and use the same basic recipe for
all, adding aromatics as I experiment (last batch out was blood orange with
Campari)

my basic recipe is:

560 g Orange cut in thin/thick slices (works best with an bread slicing
machine, although it is messy and you need a flat bowl to catch all juices)
1 l Water

mix and let stand for 24 hours

cook for 1/2 an Hour

again let stand for 24 hours

weight your stuff and add sugar (and extra pectin if desired and needed, as
the results will vary between *runny like a compote* and *can be cut with a
knife* with each batch you make) in what ever version 1:1, 1:2 or 1:3 you
want

finish

I like this recipe because the peel is soft and if you really use bitter
oranges, it will loose the puckering bitterness  (once a year I can get them
at health food stores when they are in season (usually January). If you only
have the peels use them to spice up otherwise just cloyingly sweet orange
marmalade.

Katharina
ad Flume Caerulum
Drachenwald