[Sca-cooks] Food and racism and colonialism

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Sep 8 19:26:36 PDT 2012

I have some problems with this.  The Western Roman Empire collapsed, but
Roman civilization continued in the Eastern Empire which continued on until
the 15th Century.  As for Rome being wiped out,  Old Saint Peter's Basilica
was built between 319 and 333 CE.  Pope Leo IV expanded the city walls of
Rome to encompass the Basilica between 848 and 852 CE.  That suggest to me
that Rome was alive, if not well, even though the Western Empire was
defunct.

There are some very interesting watermills that were built in the 6th to the
8th Centuries in Ireland that suggest technicals skills were not as vanished
as some scholars propose.  There is also the fact that Charlemange was a
proponent of expanding education.  This says to me that literacy, by which I
mean symbolic or abstract communication, may have been severely curtailed,
and with it the transfer of knowledge by reading and writing, but that
useful knowledge was determined and transferred by more direct means.

When it comes to conquest, I think that literacy or illiteracy are
immaterial.  A lack of empathy, righteous superiority, a violent nature and
better weaponry are more to the point.  The Conquistadors filled the bill,
as did the Celts, Olmecs, Carthaginians, Romans, Goths, Visigoths, Jutes,
Angles, Saxons, Norse, Normans, Mongols, Chinese, English, Dutch, germans,
French, Japanese and Americans in their own time and place.

Bear