[Sca-cooks] More al-Warraq

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Sep 1 00:25:35 PDT 2012

On 8/31/12 8:43 PM, Sharon Palmer wrote:
>> The third was a recipe for mutajjana, a vinegary chicken dish
>>
>> Disjoint plumb pullets. Using a knife, cut open---from the
>> inside---the chest and the back all the way down to the tail to be
>> able to flatten the pieces. Wash them and put them in a pot. Pour
>> about 1/3 ratl olive oil, a similar amount of water, and 1 dirham (3
>> grams) salt. Let the pot cook until all water evaporates.
>>
>> Add to the pot, 1/3 ratl (2/3 c) vinegar. Stir it continuously until
>> meat is browned and vinegar is cooked. Pour in ¼ ratl (1/2 c) murri
>> and sprinkle 1 mithqal (4 ½ g) black pepper. Put the pot away from
>> heat until needed.
>>
>> Suggestions? "Browned" could, of course, be an imprecision in
>> translation.
>
> If it says "pullets" - plural,  perhaps that amount of water/vinegar/
> oil was for more than one chicken.

Good point. On the other hand, one of his other recipes starts out "
Boil one chicken, pullets, [or two young fowls] ..."

Which suggests that whatever is being translated as "pullet" is smaller
than a chicken. I gather that, in modern usage a pullet is a young
hen--less than a year.
> Even though it mentions browning after adding the vinegar, I'd expect
> most of the browning to happen before you add it.
Cooked, but not what I would call browned.
> Ranvaig

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com
http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/