[Sca-cooks] (no subject)

Jim and Andi Houston jimandandi at cox.net
Wed Sep 5 15:57:12 PDT 2012

My understanding is that drinking alcohol (especially wine) was part of the
Sunni/Shia cultural divide, and the Sufis were somewhat outside of this.

The Persians, for instance, produced and exported large amounts of wine
during the latter parts of our period. I've read some 16th century Central
Asian autobiographies and "wine parties" were commonplace and acceptable
behavior by everyone except the imams & holy men.

Madhavi