[Sca-cooks] Food and racism and colonialism

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 22:11:22 PDT 2012

I was thinking about architecture and engineering. In Spain the
Christian kingdoms were very primitive, the kingdoms ruled by Arabian
rulers were industrial hubs and they achieved very advanced
architectonic and artistic constructions, as Alhambra, Giralda and so
on. When the Arabs and the Jews were evicted from Spain the country
went back to the Middle Ages, almost all the looms were in Andalucia
and the loomers were Arabs.
And the Inca and the Maya were theocratic cultures where the priests
and the rulers were the same. The only account from bloodthirst is
from the Aztecas.
But I was speaking about superiority in irrigation and growing, par
example. The terrass way to grow the Incas applied was superb and
their way to administrate the food garanteed no one was hungry in the
Inca empire. Karl Marx was very impressed by their models and wrote
about it.
The Maya cities as Palenque were bigger than many European cities and
the city of Tenochitlan, today Mexico DF, had an advanced water system
carrying water to all houses.
The Spaniards destroyed the system when they conquered the city.
And Francisco Pizarro was an illiterate pig farmer, he was the one
ordering the killing of the emperor Atahualpa in despite the Inca
people collected his weight in gold.
Ana

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:

> On 9/7/12 5:22 PM, Ana Valdés wrote:
>>
>> They plundered and killed and stole all the food we eat now, corn,
>> potatoes, tomatoes, chili, beans, coffe, sugar, spices.
>
> Coffee is from Abyssinia; sugar is also old world. I think allspice is the
> only important New World spice.
>

>> They met Maya and
>> Inca civilizations which were superior than them, but lacked weapons
>> and horses and weels.
>
> I don't think either the Maya or the Inca were any less bloodthirsty than
> the Spanish; I'm not sure on what other basis you are defining superiority.
>
> --
> David Friedman
> www.daviddfriedman.com
> http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/

http://writings-escrituras.tumblr.com/
http://maraya.tumblr.com/
http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci