[Sca-cooks] Food and racism and colonialism

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Sep 7 18:51:36 PDT 2012

I believe you are thinking of the Aztecs.  While the Mayans exsisted (and
still exist for that matter), a cohesive Mayan civilization ceased to exist
around 1250 CE.  The natives encountered by the Spanish in the conquest of
the Yucatan and Guatemala were tribal remnants of the Mayan Empire.

As to the racism being taboo, having lived through the civil rights era of
the 1950s and 60s and living in Alabama and Mississippi at the beginning of
integration (and the last gasp of Jim Crow), I find some humor in how
squeamish and political correct people have become.  Racism is not something
to abhor and forget.  It is a human failing that we need to understand and
rise above, so that, however subtly, we do not emulate our ancestors.

Bear