[Sca-cooks] Food and racism and colonialism

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 19:03:18 PDT 2012

I full agree with you regarding how it's dangerous to stigmatize any
discussion and declare racism not discutable. And yes you are right
but the Aztects wer not so advanced as civilization as the Incas or
the Mayas, they were mostly warriors and conquerors but they were not
special skilled in anything, or so said my History teachers, maybe I
am wrong, I am raised by German nuns and as a child knew more about
the Habsburgs than about the Aztecs :)
I learned Geography with European maps from 1942 and I wondered why
the whole Europe was German :)
The nuns blushed and said they got the maps as a present from their
brethren in Germany and they never changed them (I went to school in
the 60:s) :)
Ana

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Terry Decker <t.d.decker at att.net> wrote:
> I believe you are thinking of the Aztecs.  While the Mayans exsisted (and
> still exist for that matter), a cohesive Mayan civilization ceased to exist
> around 1250 CE.  The natives encountered by the Spanish in the conquest of
> the Yucatan and Guatemala were tribal remnants of the Mayan Empire.
>
> As to the racism being taboo, having lived through the civil rights era of
> the 1950s and 60s and living in Alabama and Mississippi at the beginning of
> integration (and the last gasp of Jim Crow), I find some humor in how
> squeamish and political correct people have become.  Racism is not something
> to abhor and forget.  It is a human failing that we need to understand and
> rise above, so that, however subtly, we do not emulate our ancestors.
>
> Bear

http://writings-escrituras.tumblr.com/
http://maraya.tumblr.com/
http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci