[Sca-cooks] Wild Rabbits

Deborah Hammons mistressaldyth at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 14:09:23 PDT 2012

>From the old hunter lady.   Wild rabbits do have a parasite.  It dies off
about 2 weeks after the first really hard freeze (that means 36 hours at 24
or below)  And do not re emerge until about 2 weeks after the last hard
freeze.  Settlers have a story about not eating or killing rabbit unless
the month had an R in it.  I haven't been able to find a credible source
for a positive moderately recent plague bunny source, but many with prairie
dogs and squirrels.

Aldyth
Who is just now putting two deer in the freezer.  A 9 point white tail and
a 22 inch forkhorn mule deer.  In the form of steaks, roasts, stew and
brats.