[Sca-cooks] What happened to you Mr. and Mrs. Scrooge?

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 16:19:34 PDT 2012

The problem is you can't protect someone from evil. By the way I am
still collecting images and texts for my longterm project, to make a
book about food and cruelty, it means everything we perform on animals
to eat them, foie gras, turtle soup, (in a Swedish old book I read a
recipe about how to kill a tourtle to make a soup, they introduced a
heated iron spike in the back of the turtle and the turtle, in pain,
took out the head and they clubbed the head until the turtle was
killed. Horrible.)
And going back to the fairy tales, I found an image of a giant with a
knife in the throat of two kids, drawed by the French artist Gustave
Doré, masterly done but very disturbing.
It was the illustration of a fairy tale, it seems our ancestors didn't
have any sensibility to these things.
Ana

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Wanda Pease <wandap at hevanet.com> wrote:
> The same thing that happened to Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer.  Terror of the past or the inability to read without reading unmeant insult into stories.  Pleasure in looking for victimization.
>
> I was told that I shouldn't have given my collection of Raggedy Ann stories to my Grandchildren written in the early 1900's because they might also convey racism.
>
> For what it's worth there is still a pancake house on my coast named for the story.  It's been there for at least 66 years that I know of.  The clever little boy is Indian, as you would expect from a child who meets Tigers.
>
> You could not be expected to know US paranoia
>
> Wanda
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Sep 8, 2012, at 4:29 PM, Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Terry Decker wrote:
>>
>>> It should be noted that the story itself is not racist and that the work was
>>> originally written and published in Great Britain in 1899 where the
>>> illustrations probably would not have been an issue.  It has been reprinted
>>> as The Story of Little Babaji without any outcry.
>>>
>> It seems to me that since the 1950's American protests have gone off the deep end. Not only is the Sambo story driven from India to insulting Afro-Americans but Little Red Riding Hood is a rape victim on one count, had an abortion on the other. Peter Pan was gay. Hazel and Gretel are victims of child abuse. . . Cinderella got divorced before Nevada could set up a court system and Snow White got into dog fights with her step mother, not to mention the princess and the pea and Goldie locks!
>> Dickens had a word about you Mr. and Mrs. Scrooge.
>> What happened to fairy tales?
>> According to your versions Tinker Bell could never have had a pretty bell much less could Tiny Tim have had a dream.
>> You make me cry.
>> Suey

http://writings-escrituras.tumblr.com/
http://maraya.tumblr.com/
http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci