[Sca-cooks] Pre-Roman Britain

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Sep 14 14:37:42 PDT 2012

>Just read an article this morning in Current Archaeology (a British
>publication) that discusses finding celery and coriander seeds and
>olive pits in a pre-Roman kitchen midden.  These were previously
>only thought to have been used in Britain before the Roman conquest,
>and make a comment on Iron Age trade in foodstuffs.
>Mem Elaina

I suspect you meant to say "These were previously only thought to
have been used in Britain *after* the Roman conquest"

http://www.archaeology.co.uk/articles/news/iron-age-olives-and-pampered-pets.htm

Ongoing excavations at Silchester, Hamps., (CA 250) have uncovered
the first evidence that Britain's inhabitants were enlivening their
meals with Mediterranean flavours before the Roman conquest -
including Britain's first Iron Age olive.

Ranvaig