[Sca-cooks] Sweating meat

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed Apr 10 07:36:31 PDT 2013

I wonder if this is similar to what Anthimus  means when he talks about
cooking meat far from the fire so that it is "as if  steamed":

"But as I have said [cook mutton] far away and for a long time,  so that it
becomes as if steamed"

"Suckling pigs are fit enough and  suitable boiled, or in gravy, or roasted
in the oven without too much heat, and  do not use the full measure [of
heat] but rather so that they become as if  steamed."

The Romans in fact did steam meat (which the French would not  again for
centuries) but he is the only one I know of who refers to creating a  similar
effect without actually doing that.

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

A History of Coffee and Other Refreshments  in Early Modern France
by Pierre Le Grand d'Aussy