[Sca-cooks] Sweating Meat?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 13 12:31:43 PDT 2013

Jim Cheval wrote:
> At any rate, it was certainly the preferred method by late medieval times.
> Does anyone know any references to using a grill beyond one or two about
> toasting bread? Or any at all to using steam?

There is a recipe used by the Hampton Court cooks that may well be using
steam.  I can't look it up right now, but it involves putting a chicken
in a pot with (wine?) in the bottom and the chicken sitting above the
liquid on some sticks that hold it suspended.  A pot lid is then put on
and sealed with dough.  Is this the type of thing you were thinking about?

Alys K.

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
alyskatharine at gmail.com