[Sca-cooks] Bayeux Tapestry (wasGrilling was Sweating meat)

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Apr 15 20:23:25 PDT 2013

The relevant portion appears here, and is reasonably well-explicated.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/domesday/world-of-domesday/food.htm

Otherwise, starting at left there is what might be a cauldron,  though it's
not being black raises the possibility that it might be part of the  animal
itself being used to cook - several groups, including the early Scots,  did
this when on the march.

The next servant is holding a tray and a flesh hook - used to retrieve meat
 from the pot. These are old enough to be mentioned in the Bible and could
be  ornate enough to suggest their use as something like a scepter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesh_hook

The portable stove between him and the next servant probably was not a
grill (that is, a gridiron), but I admit I'm fuzzy on these, beyond they're
allowing small items to be heated when no permanent hearth was available.

I tend to think of a spit as being a more substantial construction, though
I suppose the arrows here used to cook the fowl would be considered spits
as  well (is there no word for a smaller one?).

One interesting touch is that the roast fowl are being handed off to men
(no doubt lords) who are using their shields as tables.

Behind them a  servant is "horning the water" - that is, summoning people
to wash their hands  and eat.

The fact that the King and bishop etc are seated at a sigma (curved table)
is interesting, but it's been suggested that this echoes iconography from
Byzantine imagery and perhaps should not be taken literally. Note that even
these high-status people are eating completely with their hands - some with
 amusing alacrity, despite the royal presence.

And of course there's a wine-bearer (echanson) in the foreground. Very
often these were beautiful young boys (including one future saint), make of
that  what you will.

The servant's raised hand no doubt has a specific meaning - that the task
is unfinished?

Beyond that, anyone who REALLY wants to dig into this has their pick of
works:
_https://www.google.com/search?q=%22bayeux+tapestry%22+&btnG=Search+Books&tb
m=bks&tbo=1_
(https://www.google.com/search?q="bayeux+tapestry"+&btnG=Search+Books&tbm=bks&tbo=1)

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

A  History of Coffee and Other Refreshments in Early Modern France
by  Pierre Le Grand d'Aussy

In a message dated 4/15/2013 12:29:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,