[Sca-cooks] Olive oil varieties

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 11:12:33 PDT 2013

I come back to Uruguay after 34 years abroad and I was surprised to see how
many good olive oils are being processed here, a country where the only
olive oil to get was the Spanish and the Italian.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2013-02/04/content_16197230.htm

http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-business/south-america/quality-key-for-uruguay-olive-oil/30612

http://buyfromuruguay.com/uruguay-among-the-top-10-extra-virgin-olive-oil-producers/

ana

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM, <galefridus at optimum.net> wrote:

> About a week or so ago, there was a brief mention of types of olive oil --
> a believe it Cariadoc mentioned it in response to a question, and stated
> that Annals of the Caliphs' Kitchen lists several varieties of olive oil.
> I though I'd add a bit to the conversation -- I recently stumbled across
> the multi-volume treatise _Studies in Ancient Technology_, by R.J. Forbes.
> Volume 3 of this series contains several pages discussing olive oil
> production in antiquity (pp. 101-104). These pages state that the best oil
> was derived from the liquid extracted from the first pressing. However, the
> pulp was saved and subjected to several subsequent pressings, each
> producing oil of lower quality than the one before. While fairly brief, the
> discussion was quite interesting -- makes me wish I lived someplace where
> olives were more easily and cheaply obtained, so I could experiment with
> pressing my own olive oil.
> -- Galefridus

http//congresomujeresdenegromontevideo.wordpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/caravia15860606060
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0

<http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/>

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci