[Sca-cooks] Sweating meat

susanne.mayer5 at chello.at susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Wed Apr 10 05:59:15 PDT 2013

I would have done the same, and this is remakable close to a modern recipe of Irish stew from the *Die gute Küche* by Ewald Plachutta, I just recently used, although the meat was not browend and  the liquid reduced first , the rest does sound pretty much the same: cook meat and spices till hlf done, add vegetable (here instead of rice it was the potatoes and carrots, cook some more, add cabage and simmer till cabbage done.

If you know your meat is likley to sweat out a lot of liquid whle browning you should use the arab method , I would make skimming afterwards easier and probably taste better any way as with browning first you get more aromatics.

 If I make a  big pot of venison stew , I do brown the meat in very little fat in batches and reduce the liquid in each batch, before I put all together again.

 So your way does make sens to me, more than long slow cooking.

Kind Regards

Katharina
Drachenwald

> Message: 2