[Sca-cooks] Sweating meat

galefridus at optimum.net galefridus at optimum.net
Wed Apr 10 12:24:08 PDT 2013

The description "cooking meat far from the fire so that it is 'as if  steamed'" sounds very similar to modern slow-cook barbecue, in which one frequently cooks a fairly tough cut of meat at a low enough temperature (typically around 200F, +/- 20F) that the connective tissue softens to the point that the meat becomes tender. I have done this many times with whole beef brisket and plates of beef short ribs, and once or twice with lamb shoulder. Nevertheless, the meat is decidedly NOT steamed, since it is cooked with dry heat (hot smoke, actually). I had thought that hot smoking was a relatively modern technique, but I will have to read Anthimus and reevaluate, I think.
-- Galefridus