[Sca-cooks] Sweating meat

galefridus at optimum.net galefridus at optimum.net
Fri Apr 12 12:25:38 PDT 2013

Thanks -- much better. But looking at these images, they appear to show the grille being used to support pots and pans over coals, not to cook meat, poultry, or fish over coals. It certainly possible that the Romans did so, but I can't tell from these images. Regardless, if the rectangular grilles shown are typical, they would hold the meat too close to the coals to get the slow-cook effect. I'm now looking forward to reading Anthimus with even greater anticipation -- hopefully his description will be more enlightening than the images.
-- Galefridus