[Sca-cooks] Medieval Indian food

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Apr 25 12:57:47 PDT 2013

On 4/2/13 6:31 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:
> For all that wondered,
> Lolimbaraja, Pammi Satyanarayana Sastry, and Kshema Sarma, Vaidyāvatamsah : an adornment to ayurveda, the science of life of Lōlimbarāja : with excerpts of ancient cuisine from Kṣhēma kutūhalam Kṣhēma Śarmā, Chowkamba Sanskrit Series, Varanasi 2006
> is at
>
> http://tinyurl.com/csgcwlu
I ordered it and it arrived today. 89 pages, partly sanskrit, partly
English. It includes a fair number of recipes, along with health
comments. I think what it is is  a treatise on ayurvedic medicine, or
possibly a dictionary thereof, from one source, with recipes added from
two others. The recipes look usable--a bunch of syrups, but also solid
dishes.

So far as I can tell, it doesn't say anywhere what the dates of any of
the three sources are. But a google search found a reference to the
author of the main book, Lolimbaraja, which says he lived in the years
just before 1600--so in period for us, but barely.

Another source I found online has a chronology of Indian authors, and
dates the Ksema kutuhala composed by Ksema sarma to 1359, so well in
period for us.

The syrups, according to the introduction, are from Paniya kalpavalli. I
haven't located any information on its date.

--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com