[Sca-cooks] Recipe Translations

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 25 20:12:45 PDT 2013

Urtatim said:
<<< While i do not claim to be a scholar of the caliber of Ishin or Perry, even i can see that scholarly translations are not always 100%, although most of us must rely on them. It's good if we are open to learning more. Often information comes from other areas of study, such as medicine, botany, even the culinary cultures of other areas from which recipes may have been borrowed. >>>

Thank you for your explanations and examples. Unfortunately, I at least, have to depend on others's translations and like to have redactions as starting points, even if I may then disagree and change a few things.

For those who might be interested, we've discussed different translations of some works. Here are some comparisons of the translations of different cookbooks that we've discussed, mostly from this list.
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (66K) 12/ 1/06 Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-rv-Apicius-msg.html

cb-rv-Menagier-msg(16K) 12/17/11 Reviews of cookbooks containing recipes from
the medieval "Le Menagier de Paris'" household management manuscript.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-rv-Menagier-msg.html

cb-rv-Platina-msg (27K) 1/30/05 Reviews of cookbooks having Platina recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-rv-Platina-msg.html

cb-rv-Taillvt-msg (9K) 6/28/05 Reviews of books having Taillevent's recipes
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-rv-Taillvt-msg.html

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com