[Sca-cooks] 9 percent vinegar

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 29 20:29:06 PDT 2013

Eduardo,

Verdigris is what? Making a paint pigment?

Your experiment(s) sound interesting. I would like to consider publishing your Arts and Sciences document in the Florilegium. My standard policy applies. You keep the copyright and I accept updates at any time, which includes replacing  A&S documentation with a more polished article later, if you wish.

Also, could you please tell me what character(s) the question marks below replaced?

Thanks,
   Stefan

<<< Here is some information on the vinegar used in the verdigris process that I pulled from my documentation from Arts and sciences. It may or may not be relevant to the conversation at hand but I thought you all might find it interesting (if a bit out of context from this discussion and from the documentation). The title of my entry was "Piss and Vinegar: Experiments in Recreating Medieval Verdigris.

Eduardo

Reactive Agent describes the liquid used in the process that chemically interacts with the copper to produce the verdigris. For this experiment the focus is on vinegar (see vinegar section for more information on specifics of making a 16th century vinegar). In the sources the vinegar is describe in several different ways.

?      strong vinegar (twice)

?      very strong vinegar

?      very sharp vinegar

?      heated vinegar

?      the same way as above (heated)    >>>

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris