[Sca-cooks] A Nepalese view of French food

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Apr 30 05:24:12 PDT 2013

Did anyone notice they credit Catherine de Medici with the improvement of French cookery?

"In the 16th Century, there was a revolution in French food that still didn’t make it French, but made it Italian. What happened was the Italian Catherine de Medici married Henry, the duke of Orleans (the son of the French king, Francis I), and in her dowry was a group of Florentine cooks who introduced Italian dishes such as artichoke hearts, asparagus, macaroons pasta... Her uncle Pope Clement VII presented her a new bean, the haricot bean which came from the Americas.

As a sort of fitting fate, Catherine ate too many of her favourite cockerel kidneys and artichoke bottoms and became the first recorded patient of a runny tummy that had her believing that she would die."

Gee, what about King John?

Johnnae