[Sca-cooks] Interesting find from Bib. Palatina

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Apr 1 03:40:12 PDT 2013

Now that the Vatican collections are being digitised, we get access to all kinds of iunteresting stuff. A colleague just pointed me to the glosses in a collection of medical texts, which seem to be quite interesting.

http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpl1080/0329?sid=a50e1a9a68662cbac89e4eb3db56f2e

I've tried my best to transcribe the text, and it looks like this:

Ad Scotorum [prandium?] recipe de carne
vaccarum, bene tunde et distemp[e]ra cum ovis [last two words crossed
out by a different hand]. Manu abluto fac bullae ad assandum super
carbones. Ut bene assati, panes similia imple[ne] cum eis et mostardum,
et cipparum cucumerarumve minutis rotulis, et cum lactucas et [illegible]. Aliqui caseum superponunt. Mitte ad tabulam et eduntur manis
solis.

(Vatican Bibliotheca Palatina lat 1080 MS, gloss to the Liber de
Ferculis Malis, dated early 14th century)

I must admit I've never seen anything like it before. Ideas for a redaction, anyone?