[Sca-cooks] fwd: [MR] Turnspit Dogs and Other Things

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 16 18:50:15 PDT 2013

I just saw this on the Kingdom of Atlantia list, and I thought some folks here might be interested in this.

Stefan

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:49:28 +0000
From: "Groff, Garth (ggg9y)" <ggg9y at virginia.edu>
To: "isenfir at virginia.edu" <isenfir at virginia.edu>,
	"atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org"
	<atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org>
Subject: [MR] Turnspit Dogs and Other Things

Noble Friends,

While browsing around the BBC I stumbled onto this interesting piece on domestic life, "History of the Home" by Dr. Lucy Worsley. It features some interesting thoughts on how both the rich and poor lived in the middle ages and beyond. It is worth a read by any Scadian, and I'm sure you will breathe a sigh of relief when you've finished:http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/middle_ages/history_of_home.shtml . Here's her YouTube video of the first video on the kitchen:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSBHDSIcObQ

The mention of the dog-turned spit reminded we that I've posted about the is before. I have been in the George Tavern in Lackock, and saw the dog spit there. I was told it was only one two surviving in England, though Lucy says there is only one. Here is her video, part 2 with the dog spit:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxghA4uXM8A .

Here's the Wikipedia article on the dog spit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnspit_Dog . You can also read more at:http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2013/02/22/turnspit-dogs-the-elizabethan-must-have-kitchen-appliance/ .

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, The Archer of Mallard Lodge

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris