[Sca-cooks] Black-eyed peas recipes?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Aug 13 15:14:27 PDT 2013

Yeah.  I've got a package of them on my shelf.

What you are doing is ascribing a finer definition to common names than they
convey.  Common names tend to be used indiscriminately and even erroneously,
for commercial purposes.

All of the beans you mention (other than the adzuki) are variants of genus
Phaseolus species vulgaris AKA common bean.  "Kidney bean" is a common name
for a number of varieties which more or less resemble kidneys.  "Red bean"
is a common name for a number of varieties of red kidney bean (as well as
the adzuki and several other red beans or peas).  Size, taste, texture, etc.
may vary between varieties, but they are still all kidney beans and red
beans.

>From the description, I think the particular "red bean" you are referencing
comes under the common names of small red bean, small red kidney bean,
Mexican red bean, Habichuelas, and Habas Paquanos Colorados.  Cultivars
include LeBaron, NW-63, Ul 239, Montezuma Red, USRM-20, and Red Mexican.

Bear