[Sca-cooks] A 14th c. Italian cookbook

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Aug 21 11:06:30 PDT 2013

It was included in my bibliography titled  Medieval and Renaissance Cookery and Cookbooks of Italy

which was published in The Gauntlet in January 2013 and will be re-published as part of a culinary series as soon as the editor can make time.

 FRAMMENTO                                      (14TH CENTURY)

The manuscript designated as Biblioteca universitaria  della Universita di Bologna, MS 158 contains a number of manuscripts including the already mentioned ANONIMO TOSCANO,  & LIBRO DELLA COCINA. Scully reports the FRAMMENTO is part of a longer collection from several sources. 92 recipes.

Printed in Frammento di un libra di cucina del secolo XIV edito nel di delle nozze Carducci- Gnaccarini. Edited by Olindo Guerrini. Bologna: Nicola Zanichelli, 1887.
And
Benporat, Claudio. “Un Ricettario de cucina trecentesco: MS. 15/1 della Biblioteca Universitaria di Bologna.” Appunti di Gastronomia. LXII (2010) pp.5-30.

It hasn't been translated as far as I know or could determine. I would check out the Benporat article before translating it. You should be able to interlibrary loan it.

Johnnae